Zubie, a connected-car technology company, announced the availability of ZinC, an open API platform designed to enable insurers, developers and engineers to build third-party apps and service integrations on top of Zubie’s connected-car platform, extending the value of connected-car data into the broader Internet of Cars ecosystem, Zubie said.
The Zubie API offers secure and managed access to vehicle diagnostics, location, trip activity and driving data from Zubie’s “fully certified and hardened platform,” Zubie said. Developers can benefit from proprietary analytical models derived from Zubie’s global base of connected-cars, which have tracked hundreds of millions of driving miles, Zubie said. And consumers, small businesses, wireless carriers, insurers and automotive businesses in the U.S. and Germany can use the real-time information to enhance their experience or services.
ZinC, Zubie said, can be used to:
- build apps for: fuel economy, driving improvement, trip sharing, parking, smart/connected home functionality and more.
- develop business-focused apps and integrations to simplify: fleet management; integrate with expense and billing platforms; power car-sharing services and other industry-specific needs. Food trucks, for example, could automatically publicize their locations while on the go, or to connect with followers.
- create pattern-based analytical modules for specific use cases, such as predictive vehicle repair costs and driving patterns.
Access to those services is by an opt-in-only basis, Zubie said, as the company never shares third-party data without customer consent.
“The Internet of Cars industry is growing, but there is still much more to be tapped. ZinC opens a door for new players to enter and create applications that help small businesses and consumers, ultimately moving the market opportunity forward,” said Tim Kelly, CEO of Zubie. “There is an immense amount of interest from developers to create ZinC, and we look forward to seeing what they do with this technology.”
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Digital Insurance content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access