The chess board holding American International Groups 11-member board of directors may be rearranged, reports the Wall Street Journal, with the end result being a delay in the companys annual meeting and the release of its annual proxy statement.
The Journal reports that the insurers aim is to expand and reshuffle AIGs 11-member board, which has remained largely in place since the government took its 80% stake, pumping as much as $173.3 billion in aid into the company. The AIG board is accountable mostly to its trustees, but also to the other shareholders owning a remaining stake that is slightly more than 20%. To date, the government has appointed three trustees.
In earlier news, AIG confirmed that three of its board members were not expected to stand for re-election to AIGs board. Through a spokesman, the three trustees declined to comment about the delay in filing AIG's proxy, reported the Journal.
"We are in ongoing discussions regarding several issues and as a result have not yet filed our proxy statement," AIG said in a statement. "We intend to reschedule our annual meeting and will announce the new date in due course."
The Journal says that the delay in the filing of the proxy is expected to last only a few more days, citing a person familiar with the matter. AIG's annual meeting previously was scheduled for May 13.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Digital Insurance content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access