The social networks were swamped a couple weeks ago with concerns over a revised zodiac calendar. The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that Minneapolis astronomy instructor Parke Kunkle affirmed that the Earth’s “wobble” has shifted the zodiac signs.
The debate as to whether this new zodiac calendar is legit is ongoing. However, for fun, Allstate decided to compare its claims data against the revised zodiac calendar, and came to a few conclusions.
Virgos, known to be critical, meticulous and reserved, are also more likely to get into a car accident, while Scorpios are least likely. Over the past year, Virgos were nearly 700% more likely to be in a car accident when compared to the determined and aware Scorpio, the best drivers in the study. Perhaps a Virgo’s shy, perfectionist nature leads to overly cautious and timid driving habits. By contrast, Scorpios were only involved in 1.5% of all accidents in 2010.
The "new" sign, Ophiuchus, faired well in the study as the second-safest drivers on the road. While the jury is still out on the exact characteristics of an Ophiuchus, most astrologers seem to indicate individuals born under this sign will be a bit luckier than the rest.
But, can an astrological sign really influence driving habits?
Generally, the signs with the fewest number of reported accidents were those associated with traits like "compassion," "graciousness" and "resourcefulness" where those with more accidents tended to be more "uncompromising," "arrogant" and "impatient."
Below is the number of drivers involved in accidents in 2010 (fewest to most).
• Scorpio (Nov. 23 – 28)—26,833
• Ophicuchus (Nov. 29 – Dec. 17)—83,234
• Cancer (July 21 – Aug.9)—101,539
• Aquarius (Feb. 16 – March 11)—106,878
• Libra (Oct. 31 – Nov. 22)—110,592
• Aries (April 17 – May 13)—112,402
• Capricorn (Jan. 18 – Feb. 15)—128,005
• Gemini (June 20 – July 20)—136,904
• Sagittarius (Dec. 18 – Jan. 17)—154,477
• Pisces (March 12 – April 16)—172,030
• Taurus (May 14 – June 19)—177,503
• Leo (Aug. 10 – Sept. 15)—179,657
• Virgo (Sept. 16 – Oct. 30)—211,650
Editor's Note: Allstate tells INN this "study" was conducted for entertainment purposes only. The data was not adjusted for the number of driving days represented by each Zodiac sign or any other relevant factor, and therefore should not be construed to as representing differences in accident rates. Allstate does not use astrological data for rating or underwriting purposes.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Digital Insurance content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access
Corrected January 28, 2011 at 3:25PM: yes