Of more than 25 industries surveyed, insurance companies have the highest maturity for enterprise mobility, according to a benchmarking report from SAP AG.
The study was designed to understand the degree of adoption and maturity of best practices across industries and the impact of mobility on revenue growth and employee productivity.
"While mobile is now the primary way people communicate, connect and transact, our latest benchmarking report supports the fact that mobile adoption in the workplace is still in the early stages," said Nick Brown, SVP, mobile strategy and market development, SAP. "The benefits of mobile are well-documented and understood by most organizations, but a successful implementation requires a clear strategy and comprehensive platform.”
The study evaluated customers in four areas: mobile strategy, creation of mobile apps, control of mobile devices and consumption of mobile apps. For each category, companies were evaluated on the maturity of their best practices and greatest business impact and then divided into five levels of maturity.
On an average, maturity across industry segments is 2.5. At 4.0, insurance companies received the highest maturity for enterprise mobility.
The most mature companies displayed these common characteristics:
- A mobile strategy in place for all departments and relevant processes; input obtained from all external and internal stakeholders.
- Established operating system standards and a reliable platform deployed; all security and scalability issues addressed.
- A strong, well-documented security policy, centralized device monitoring and an excellent device authentication mechanism in place.
- End-user involvement early in the development cycle and feedback phase; training on new applications and all wireless issues; mobile access to all enterprise applications.
According to the study, “companies with mature best practices double their operating margins and experience three times higher revenue growth compared to those with average mobile practices.” The results are based on a survey of more than 300 global SAP customers of all sizes and spanning all industries, including banking, consumer products, high tech, professional services, public sector, telecommunications and utilities.
The study also says that leading companies reported 37.5 percent of users with mobile access to cross-functional applications experience more than 43 percent higher productivity compared to companies in the bottom tier. Leading companies also experienced a 28.6-percent decrease in IT spend compared with less mature companies.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Digital Insurance content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access