With so many consumers now using smartphones, insurers are seeing an increase in “gadget” claims. U.K.-based gadget insurer, Protect Your Bubble, says one in five iPhone users have made an insurance claim during the past 12 months. And the company has heard a variety of iPhone insurance claims during that time. Their favorites include “I dropped it from a hot air balloon” and “my dog mistook it for his favourite toy and chewed it to bits.” Other unusual claims include “I lost it while skydiving,” “I dropped it in a blender” and “It fell into the kettle.”
Most common claims include cracked screens, lost or stolen iPhones and iPhones dropped in the toilet or bath.
Other common iPhone claims, according to the insurer:
• Couldn't hear the other person when making a call
• Leaving phone on the car roof and it fell off while driving
• Pet knocked the phone off a surface
• Internet connection completely broken
• iPhone doesn't charge
• Screen freezes
The study found that 45% of claims have been for accidental damage to iPhones. According to Protect Your Bubble, one unlucky customer lost his iPhone after leaning over the side of a boat in Cyprus, to see it fall out of the rucksack and plop into the sea. And one owner reckons he was happily sitting in the local pub, when a friend spilled his pint of beer all over his phone.
Other iPhone insurance claims include losing the phone under the wheels of a bus after it flew out of a pocket, and a teenager being forced to hand over his phone to thugs after they threatened him with a machete.
Other more usual claims include losing internet connection, screen freeze, pets knocking the phone off a work surface and the fact the phone doesn't charge.
The insurer’s top 10 most bizarre iPhone Claims:
1. I dropped it from a hot air balloon
2. I lost it while skydiving
3. It broke when my son used it as a table tennis racket
4. I lost it while building a sand castle for the kids
5. I accidentally buried it in the garden
6. It fell into the kettle
7. I dropped it in a food blender
8. My dog chewed it to pieces
9. Juice from a defrosting piece of meat leaked into it
10. It flew out of the car window
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Digital Insurance content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access